Automotive Service, Inspection, Maintenance, and Repair - Fourth Edition
The author has been a teacher at the high school and college level for over thirty years and a writer for over 25 years. This is the most technically accurate, up-to-date, student-friendly, easy to understand comprehensive automotive textbook available in the marketplace.
What’s new in the 4th Edition? View table of contents
The newly revised 4th edition of AUTOMOTIVE SERVICE: INSPECTION, MAINTENANCE, REPAIR contains all the knowledge and skills necessary for readers to be successful in a number of automotive careers. This text covers all eight major course areas of automotive technology by progressing students through an introduction to shop management and then covering theories of vehicle systems operations with step-by-step procedures for troubleshooting and repairing automobiles. Technically reviewed by instructors and industry experts, the 4th edition of this popular text is designed in particular for the needs of those readers enrolled in NATEF-certified programs. Updated and expanded content in this edition includes coverage of hybrid vehicles, HTHS viscosity ratings, latest coolants, ejector cycle systems, dynamometer, and turbochargers and superchargers.
Up-to-date coverage of automotive technologies, including hybrid vehicles. Electronics and engine performance content enhanced throughout. Updated information on engine oils, including HTHS viscosity ratings. New cooling system information, including the latest on coolants, and new content on pressure caps, reverse flow systems, and cooling system service. New information on air conditioning and refrigerants, including ejector cycle systems. Expanded dynamometer information and improved turbocharger and supercharger coverage. New and updated science, math, history and vintage systems notes. Full-color, updated photos and illustrations make key concepts come alive for the visual learner. Safety Notes and Caution text boxes underscore the importance of safety procedures in the shop to avoid bodily injury and/or equipment damage. Instructor Resources DVD includes updated ExamView Computerized Test Bank, expanded chapter presentations in PowerPoint, ASE-style practice questions, end-of-chapter review questions as Word files, Image Library of text images, and NATEF Task correlations.
Table of Contents:
INTRODUCTION. PART I: THE AUTOMOBILE INDUSTRY.
- 1. Introduction to the Automobile.
- 2. Automotive Careers and Technician Certification.
PART II: SHOP PROCEDURES, SAFETY, TOOLS, AND EQUIPMENT.
- 3. Shop Safety.
- 4. Shop Management, Service Records, and Parts.
- 5. Locating Service Information and Specifications.
- 6. Measuring Tools and Systems.
- 7. Hardware, Fasteners, Drills, and Thread Repair.
- 8. Shop Tools. 9. General Shop Equipment.
- 10. Cleaning Equipment and Methods.
- 11. Lifting Equipment and Air Compressors.
PART III: VEHICLE INSPECTION (Lubrication/Safety Check).
- 12. Engine Lubrication.
- 13. Underhood and Body Inspection (Car on Ground).
- 14. Undercar Inspection and Service.
PART IV: ENGINE OPERATION AND SERVICE.
- 15. Introduction to the Engine.
- 16. Engine Classifications and Advanced Transportation Technologies.
- 17. Engine Size and Measurements.
- 18. Engine Upper End.
- 19. Engine Lower End and Lubrication System Theory.
PART V: COOLING SYSTEM, BELTS, HOSES, AND PLUMBING
- 20. Cooling System Theory.
- 21. Cooling System Service.
- 22. Automotive Belts.
- 23. Automotive Hoses.
- 24. Automotive Plumbing: Tubing and Pipe.
PART VI: ELECTRICAL SYSTEM THEORY AND SERVICE.
- 25. Basic Electrical System Theory and Repairs.
- 26. Battery Fundamentals.
- 27. Battery Service.
- 28. Starting System Fundamentals.
- 29. Starting System Service.
- 30. Charging System Fundamentals.
- 31. Charging System Service.
- 32. Lighting and Wiring Fundamentals.
- 33. Lighting and Wiring Service.
- 34. Safety, Security, Comfort Systems, and Electrical Accessories.
PART VII: HEATING AND AIR CONDITIONING.
- 35. Heating and Air Conditioning Fundamentals.
- 36. Heating and Air Conditioning Service.
PART VIII: ENGINE PERFORMANCE DIAGNOSIS: THEORY AND SERVICE.
- 37. Ignition System Fundamentals. 38. Ignition System Service.
- 39. Fuels and Alternative Fuels.
- 40. Fuel System Fundamentals.
- 41. Fuel System Service.
- 42. Intake and Exhaust Systems, Turbochargers and Superchargers.
- 43. Emission Control System Fundamentals.
- 44. Emission Control System Service.
- 45. Electronics and Computer Systems Fundamentals.
- 46. Electronics and Computer Systems Service.
- 47. Advanced Emissions and On-board Diagnostics (ODB).
- 48. Diagnosing Engine Performance Problems.
PART IX: AUTOMOTIVE ENGINE SERVICE AND REPAIR.
- 49. Diagnosing Engine Mechanical Problems.
- 50. Engine Removal and Disassembly.
- 51. Engine Sealing, Gaskets, Fastener Torque.
- 52. Engine Diagnosis and Service: Cylinder Head and Valvetrain.
- 53. Engine Diagnosis and Service: Block, Crankshaft, Bearings, and Lubrication System.
- 54. Engine Diagnosis and Service: Piston, Piston Rings, Connecting Rod, Engine Balancing.
- 55. Ordering Parts, Short...